Sunday, October 12, 2014

My Brother, Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Colliers


“My Brother, Sam is dead.”

Courtney Pack

October 12, 2014

Main Characters
Tim Meeker
Sam Meeker
Father (Mr. Meeker)
Susannah Meeker
Betsy Reed

Quotes
  • "I Still hadn't made up my mind which side I was on in the war, and I didn't care whether Sam was a Patriot or a Tory ot what."-Tim Meeker
  • "I will have no treason spoken in my house"- Mr. Meeker (Papa Meeker)
  • I" wondered, If I went for a soldier, which army would I join? The British had the best uniforms and the shiny guns, but there was something exciting about the Patriots- being underdogs and fighting off the mighty British army ."- Tim Meeker



Summary,
The book I chose to read is “My Brother, Sam is dead” by James Lincoln Collier. This book is set back in during the Revolutionary War. It is based on a young man named Tim Meeker. Tim always looked up to his big brother, Sam. Sam is a young brave and smart man that is a role model to his younger brother, Tim. Sam is now part of the army for the American Revolution. The problem for Tim and Sam is that most of the citizens in their town do support the British or as they are called the Redcoats. Most of the supporters do know Sam and Tim and one of the supporters of the British is their father. Tim soon has to make a decision of the Redcoats or the Revolutionaries and between his brother, Sam or his beloved father. At the end of the story Tim and his mother do find the news about Tim and Sam's father does die on a prisoner ship after being captured by the Rebels a couple months before they do find out about his death. During this time Sam is convicted of a certain crime,  that is that he was framed for trying to steal cattle out of a barn; the story is that 2 men were trying to steal cattle out of a barn. When Sam heard the men trying to the steal the cattle he ran outside to stop the crime that was being committed. Sam catches the cattle before the 2 men steal them but was framed and was convicted of trying to steal cattle from the barn. Later Tim and Sam's mother tries to convince the captain that Sam is innocent of the crime that he being convicted for and at the ending of the book Sam and Tim's mother plan to try and convince the captain that Sam is innocent of this crime does not work, Sam is later found guilty and is publicly shot in front of his community, mother, and his beloved younger brother, Tim Meeker.

Author and Awards
The author of this book is named James Lincoln Collier. In present day today (2014) he is 86 years of age, Collier was born in New York City on June 27, 1928. Collier is a journalist, author, and professional musician. Collier was born into a family of writers and teacher including his father and several of his aunts and uncles. He has won several awards for the works he has created including My Brother, Sam is dead. The book “My Brother, Sam is dead” has an award named the John Newberry Medal. To this day “My Brother, Sam is dead” is still getting credit for being an all-time classic. This story is a classic about a family being torn apart by a war, basically being a house divided by negativity and basically death.
Critique
I did enjoy this book very much in my opinion. It did show that during this time nobody really care about if you were fighting brother vs. brother ot father vs. son. In the book Mr. Meeker or Papa Meeker did have a hint of thought that Sam (his son) was a traitor to thee family and that they thought that since Sam was fighting for the Patriots and everything that he said was treason to the family and to the community. Tim Meeker was in spiritual to me because he did look up to his brother as a older brother and a role model. Papa Meeker was my least favorite character because he thought that his own flesh and blood was a traitor to the community and thought that everything he said was treason and nonsense. Sam was a character to me that I would look up to because no matter what he stood up for what he believed in and that was brave thing to do in those times since this book shows that families were their own enemies and that there were traitors that did some sort of "spy work," I would recommend this book for somebody else to read because it did describe the way that families were during this time and that you sometimes couldn't even trust your own flesh and blood.
James Lincoln Collier
(Author)
v
Book Cover of "My Brother, Sam is Dead"

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea behind this story and find it really interesting; although if it is only about decision conflicts and cattle stealing I probably won't read it. However, I find the idea interesting seeing as most Revolutionary writers focus on someone who is fighting in the war or the struggle through it. I've never seen one from this perspective. I think the book is interesting and could be a good read if I ever found myself without anything to do.

    ReplyDelete